Wednesday, February 17, 2016

TWO Extra Credit Opportunities

ASAP: Survey Participation by THIS FRIDAY AT NOON

For Veronica Droser's Quantitative Methodologies class:

"We are looking for people ages 18-35 to fill out a brief survey that includes questions about their experiences with relational maintenance, love languages, and romantic and/or friends with benefits relationships. Participation is completely voluntary, and responses are anonymous and confidential.

Survey link: https://udenver.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_cx2ps0IqbYqn4sR"

**The survey will begin (or end) by asking your name and what class you are expecting extra credit for, which will then be relayed to me. This part of the survey is completely separate from your survey responses so there will be no way of connecting your survey responses to your identity!


Next Thursday, February 25th, 12pm



  • 10 points: Attend the event (sign in sheet will be available)
  • 20 points: Post a 500 word blurb on the blog relating the event to performance studies
  • 30 points: Give a 5- to 10-minute presentation in class relating the event to performance studies

1 comment:

  1. (I'm not sure where to put this, so I will just put it here!)

    This workshop was extremely useful for learning specifics on how to network and cast a wide net in order to find jobs. There were four people who spoke about their experiences and how they used networking to their advantage, how they got their jobs this way. After each panel member spoke about their experiences, they opened it up to the room for questions. We then went through all of the different ways to have professional interviews and how to reach out to people who are in the field of work that we are interested in. We went into specifics which was extremely helpful such as being authentic, being engaged, and asking questions. This relates to performance studies because everyday interactions can be classified as a performance. We learned about how to perform and how to act in this specific context. This includes body language, our topic of discussion, and different ways in which we can hold ourselves or speak and come across as more professional and relatable, important things when trying to find a job. The panel members spoke and each person that spoke was giving what could be called a personal narrative or monologue. They were talking about themselves and their story to us.
    Additionally, we watched a mock interview between two of the panel members. This relates to performance studies in many ways. For starters, it was essentially a performance between the two people. It also was a performance between the two people for the audience. The purpose was to show us good conversational skills and what to say, what to do, etc. We then talked more about what the two people did well and what they could’ve done differently. Kate then asked if anyone wanted to try the mock interview and after a few seconds of silence, I raised my hand. From the second that I raised my hand, my style of interacting and performing changed. It went from casually listening and chatting with my friend to eyes on me, pressure was on, and I had to get serious and actually treat it like a real interview. Although there was a little bit of hesitation because I’m not actually sure what I want to do in life especially when it comes to what field I want to get a job in, I pretended like I knew what I was interested in while speaking with the man who was fake interviewing me. Not only would it be hard enough to perform during a real interview, I had to do it in front of an entire room as well as my professor and the panel members. Putting on a performance for important things such as job interviews can be extremely nerve-racking and difficult because it is such a formal setting and you want to be an authentic you, but also show that you are still extremely serious about working. I personally have a problem with being too informal with many people that I should be formal with, but it is because I enjoy having authentic relationships with people in my life. If I can’t be myself around people then I tend to not be as invested in whatever our connection is, whether that is class, a friendship, or even a job that is hiring. This workshop was a really great way to see in action what to do during interviews and how to network in order to help yourself out later in life.






    ReplyDelete